IT Service Desk Team Leader
Job Title: Service Desk Team Leader
Location: Birmingham City Centre, Office Based
Contract length: 4 months with a possibility of longer term employment
Purpose of the role:
The Service Desk Team Leader is a key role within our client's IT department, responsible for managing and driving improvement from the Service Desk, managing and coaching service desk analysts, acting as technical authority for the team and reporting on Service Desk performance. The Service Desk Team Leader will build excellent relationships with a variety of stakeholders across the business in order to deliver excellent IT services and help ensure strong alignment to requirements.
- Manage and co-ordinate the processing of incoming calls and tickets to ensure courteous, timely and effective resolution of incidents and requests.
- Develop and implement ticket handling and escalation policies and procedures.
- Develop and implement intra- and inter-team workflow processes.
- Be an escalation point and provide co-ordination and support for the Service Desk during high severity incidents.
- Provide communication to customers in preparation for planned work and unplanned outages.
- Work with IT colleagues on resolving incidents and problem management cases.
- Ensure processes are carried out in accordance with agreed standards and procedures.
- Identification of problems or recurring incidents.
- Identification of trends in incidents and services requests logged and input for consideration as projects, upgrades, or problem management.
- Provide reporting on call volumes and incident trending within the Service Desk and wider IT Team.
- Contribute to Service Level reporting to Management.
- Lead team planning, decision making and service improvement activities.
- Implement service improvement ideas.
- Contribute and encourage the development of information into the IT knowledge base to better support the IT Team.
- Lead local Change Management meetings when required as a backup to the Change Manager.
- Maintain the skills and competencies of personnel.
- Evaluate employee job performance, through goal setting and performance appraisals.
- Be a focal point for the team for communication and issue identification, resolution and escalation.
- Provide technical mentoring and coaching of team members where appropriate.
- Lead Service Desk Team Meetings.
- As required, to undertake cover for user administration in the absence of such work undertaken by the Desktop Analysts.
- To undertake essential maintenance tasks outside of normal office hours from time to time, as required. To take part in the IT Team out of hours support rota if necessary.
- UK A-level (or equivalent) basic education 240 points or better
- Degree in a discipline relevant to information technology
- Microsoft certified or demonstrably equivalent commercial experience
- Windows 10, advanced knowledge
- Desktop hardware and software, including operating systems and MS Office products.
- Active directory
- Windows RDP/Citrix
- Familiarity with Linux systems
- ITIL Foundation or Practitioner
- 2 – 3 years’ experience in leading a Service Desk Team
- 3 - 5 years’ experience of supporting a range of IT applications, platforms and technologies in a busy Service Desk Team
- Experience of customer service delivery in a busy IT environment and service management methodologies
- Extensive experience of computer systems, business systems and related technologies.
- Experience managing IT assets such as desktops, laptops, mobile phones and similar.
- Friendly, helpful nature. Ability to quickly build rapport and to treat people with empathy and patience.
- Strong customer focus.
- Excellent communication skills and an ability to communicate technical directions in simple, clear language.
- Good time management skills with the ability to work with minimal supervision.
- Ability to be positive and actively encourage and mentor others within the team.
- Strong work ethic.
- Sound policy and procedural judgement.
- Well-presented and professional.
- Strong problem owner and completer/finisher.
- Project management skills to include the co-ordination of multiple projects and the ability to consistently meet strict deadlines.