JOB TITLE: Legal Secretary
DIVISION: Private Client
PURPOSE OF ROLE
To provide effective secretarial and administrative support within the Private Client division, carrying out work to the highest possible standards through adherence to the firm's guidelines and policies. To be committed to a high level of client service and strive for continuous professional development.
PRINCIPLE DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Tasks and Activities:
- To assist with file management and ensure consistent reviews of files.
- To ensure accurate time recording of all work undertaken by your Fee Earner.
- To undertake such work as may be delegated by your Fee Earner or Partner in relation to client matters or any administrative duties that may be required.
- To assist your Fee Earner or Partner in prioritising the client matter and when appropriate advise the client and others of the progress of the matter.
- To attend to clients and others where needed on behalf of the Fee Earner or Partner, taking accurate instructions for your Fee Earner's attention.
- To undertake all work of a secretarial nature as may be requested by any Fee Earner including typing, word processing, photocopying, making and taking phone calls.
- To take and record accurately any message and pass the same on to the appropriate person without delay.
- To make appointments and maintain up to date diary entries.
- To deal with filing, storage and retrieval of client's papers and files, opening and closing of files, storage of deeds and other papers all in accordance with firm policies.
- To correctly identify and differentiate between DX, Royal Mail post and hand or other deliveries.
- To undertake any other duties as may be allocated by the Fee Earner or Partner from time to time.
Skills, Knowledge, Experience and Attitudes
- A proficient level of literacy and numeracy.
- Competent touch and audio typist.
- Experience of working within a team environment.
- Experience of data entry and/or text processing.
- IT literate with experience of the Microsoft Office suite of applications, including Word, Excel and Outlook.
- Ability to interact effectively with others, both face to face and over the telephone, including an excellent telephone manner and comfortable dealing with clients.
- Organised and methodical with the ability to multi-task, prioritise and work in a fast paced environment.
- An understanding of and adherence to General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR), and maintaining confidentiality and integrity at all times.
The details outlined in this job description reflect the content of the post at the date the job description was prepared. It is inevitable that over time the nature of a defined job role will change, existing duties may be lost and other duties gained without changing the general character of the work or level of responsibility entailed. It is intended that this job description will be revised from time to time in discussion with the post holder.
In addition, you may be expected to perform other duties commensurate with this position or as required to assist the business needs. Any additional tasks will be kept within your abilities and skills range, and training will be provided if necessary. Such agreement should not be unreasonably withheld.