Engineering Projects Manager
Engineering Projects Manager
Reporting to the Managing Director and Operations Manager you will be responsible for the management and leadership of the engineering project's programme including end to end accountability for project delivery.
Managing the overall Project schedule, you will interact directly with the customer. You will oversee schedule risk, project costs, earned value status, and execution of the programme. Paramount is your ability to establish and maintain all the associated information to ensure the project is executed per contract requirements.
Accordingly, you will also oversee timeline tracking for design engineering, manufacturing, testing, QC, and purchasing activities for project development; and will manage process engineering functions with regards to DFMEA, plant layout for assembly and FAT, operator instruction, mistake proofing, and process mapping.
The Engineering Projects Manager will also be required to support the wider company objectives and customer programmes when required, providing support to personnel allocated to project tasks, as well as supporting major bids and proposals.
As such you will also guide the following engineering functions: tool trials and ensuring that CP/CPK targets are met; control planning, re-work instructions, and SPC results; design, analysis, DFMEA, and engineering changes as per Open Issues List or Engineering Change Notifications (ECN).
As Engineering Projects Manager your responsibilities include:
• Project management - lead full lifecycle projects from conception and design phases to delivery and handover.
• Use process improvement analysis to ensure projects utilise modern manufacturing methodology.
• Establish project scope and create justifications.
• Perform cost/ benefit analysis to generate proposals.
• In conjunction with the Operations Manager, plan resources and schedules for assigned projects.
• In conjunction with the Operations Manager, establish the correct suppliers and manage timelines on and off-site.
• Promote lean manufacturing concepts and quality improvement techniques as a focus within the business.
• Apply all APQP standards, including quote review and submission, feasibility reviews, customer liaison and open issues, launch support, programme binder and timeline, containment, and 100% inspection pre- and post-launch.
• Ensure all personnel are working in a safe and efficient manner.
• Support the Quality Control Officer in adopting and practicing kaizen principles and concepts, support and encourage kaizen activities, and participate in kaizen events while training, coaching, and assisting department personnel in the development of continuous improvement ideas.
• Ensure the planning for the release of design solutions is aligned with Supply Chain Procurement activity and Manufacturing planning.
• Supply Chain Management: interact with the company's Supply Chain function to ensure the released design solutions are delivered on time to specification.
• Subcontract Management: Support the QCO and OM to liaise with Major Sub-Contractors to ensure all aspects of the design solutions are fully integrated with the final product specifications.
• Customer Management: liaise with the customer to oversee On-site installation, testing and acceptance / Factory Acceptance Testing (FAT). Participate in customer project review meetings.
• Pro-actively manage and report on project risk, making changes for cost effective risk reduction where possible.
• Provide Weekly & Monthly management reports (status, analysis, recommendations) into the programme governance files to comply with ISO / QAP and customer requirements.
• Interact with engineers, manufacturing teams, team leaders, suppliers and management to report progress, risks, and issues on projects.
• Ensure assigned areas of the project are delivered within cost and schedule constraints at appropriate level of performance and quality.
• Monitor and control expenditure of budget within assigned control account
• Drive projects and be enthusiastic to realise the end benefits.
• Ability to organise and prioritise tasks.
• Proven competence and previous success in leading significant high value, complex, engineered product projects.
• Supplier management experience.
• Open-Minded with objective thinking, critical analysis and industry recognised problem-solving techniques.
• Good knowledge of Health and Safety best practice.
• Experience of managing or leading teams involved with product design or product development or in an equipment manufacturing environment.
• Good understanding of machining, fabrication, and equipment assembly operations environment.
• Experienced in the application of lean manufacturing methodologies including Six Sigma and Kaizen improvement tools.
• Project management qualifications (APM, Prince2 or PMI).
• Experience of working for an engineering or manufacturing consultancy or other professional product engineering services organisation.
• In depth knowledge of robotic modular manipulation systems and moving line automation and AGV technology is a distinct advantage.
• Solid understanding of DFM & DFT to be able to influence product development to ensure successful manufacturing programme delivery.
Educational / Professional Qualification Requirements
• Completion of an appropriate blend of education and/or experience equalling a minimum of five years project leadership experience in a mechanical equipment design or mechanical product development or equipment manufacturing environment associated to electronic control systems (ECS, PLC, SCADA)
WorkForce manufacturing are responsible for placing several hundred dedicated operatives out to work every day across the West Midlands. We operate from several prime locations in the area and are likely to have an office right near you. Job categories include; Order picking, Warehouse, Stores, Despatch, Packing, Assembly, Machine operating and FLT Driving. We are always on the lookout for the very best talent, so if you know anyone, refer them to our professional and friendly team who will be more than happy to help.